Alongside the Randeree Charitable Trust, the COSARAF Foundation is delighted to be partnering with City, University of London
’s Department of Journalism
to offer a pair of postgraduate scholarships for the 2019/20 academic year. The Widening Media Diversity Scholarships will cover full tuition fees for a one-year journalism master’s degree at City, up to a maximum of £10,200. One student will also receive an offer of a six-month paid placement at The Daily Mirror
, while the other student will receive an offer of a minimum of three months paid placement at The Sun
The scholarships are earmarked for exceptional students who are facing financial hardship and are:
- actively engaged in British Muslim communities
- interested in the under-representation of Muslims in the media
- interested more broadly in developing diversity in journalism.
The key aim or objective of this scholarship is to help develop a pool of Muslim journalists who can:
- advance diversity in the media industry
- improve reporting on religion and minorities in the media
- champion under-represented communities.
Furthermore, these master’s degree scholarships are to support students who would like to pursue a career in journalism not just to benefit Muslim communities, but all communities, in pursuit of specific and common goals that will help create a more cohesive Britain.
The successful scholars will be assigned mentors by the donors, who will provide their mentees with advice and support on career opportunities.
Full details of the scholarship are available on the City website.